Friday, April 25, 2008

Ode to a Tree....



Did you know that today is Arbor Day? Did you celebrate by planting a tree?

If you drive into Menasha, you'll see a sign celebrating many years of being a "Tree City." I learned today exactly what constitutes a "Tree City." Basically, it's a bunch of laws and money for trees!

This year, the city donated 2 trees to be planted at the kids' school. The student council put together a little program, the new and outgoing mayors both came, along with some forestry and DNR people, and all the kids got to help plant the two trees. Kayleigh is part of student council this year, so she was excited to be part of the program. But even more exciting for her was that she and her best friend were chosen to write and present a special poem at the ceremony.

I know I'm biased, but I was so impressed! They did what is called a "two voices poem." There were parts that they would read individually and parts they read together. But you never really knew when they'd be together or seperate...not like a "chorus" that they'd do together or something. I know I'm doing a pathetic job explaining it and not doing them any favors, but they did great! I was so proud of them. I know they gave up many recesses to work together!



No comments: